Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Big Band Dance


Last Saturday night was the annual Big Band Dance at BYU. This dance is held every February as a salute to the armed forces. The dance is supposed to be set in a 1940s canteen. Synthesis, BYU's top jazz band, provided the music and a fabulous big band feeling. We did all sorts of dancing, including foxtrot, cha cha, and swing. I went with my friend Phil, which was especially fun because we went together three years ago as freshmen.



There was a short show that depicted a love story during World War II. We all then sang the different songs of the branches of the armed forces. A favorite part of the evening was when this World War II veteran talked about the more-than-140 missions he completed and then played the trumpet that he played many times during the war.



Phil and I had a great time together. I am not that best dancer (but I am learning!), so whenever I missed some steps Phil would just start spinning and twirling me to get me back on. The dance floor was packed, but we still spent a lot of time out on it. My feet were killing me by the end of the night... a small price to pay for a wonderful evening.

2 comments:

hillary nicole said...

you already know how much I love this! Sometime we will have to double and go out dancing together :)

Megan said...

You look beautiful Alana. I am glad you had such a great time. We can't wait to see you again.