Thursday, January 17, 2008

Rotterdam















I am in Europe! But since my boss is in Strasbourg this week I am spending time with Katinka's family in Holland. I spent my first couple of days in Oostkapelle, but then headed up to Rotterdam to stay with Aunt Jantien and Hank on their beautiful barge, The Merlijn. Be sure to check back for great pictures of Oostkapelle and Katinka's family. The first picture is taken from the Euromast (seen in the second picture). It was great to have such a view of the city and have Jantien point out important sites. To the left of the picture you can see the New York Hotel beneath two tall towers. This is only one section of the city/harbor - it is huge.














This picture shows the Euromast from across the Maas River.



















This is the New York Hotel, which was used by passengers of the Holland American Line before they departed for the US. There is a restaurant on the main level and a hotel occupies the upper floors. Jantien and I had lunch there, which was a ton of fun because of its location and historical aspects. It has been a lot of fun to explore the city. I have loved staying on the Merlijn. A big thanks to Jantien and Henk for their wonderful hospitality.

1 comment:

hillary nicole said...

Wow lana looks like an adventure! I just read your email and it sounds like you have quite the internship. I'm glad you survived your first day, good luck on all the rest!

xoxo hillary